- Acumen for investigative work in Portuguese, Spanish and English;
- Strong researcher, writer and editor who is comfortable in deadline-driven environments;
- Environmental and social risk (ESR) expertise on agriculture and other land intensive extractive industries, and how these intersect with climate change;
- Self-starter accustomed to working independently and collaborating on teams;
- Cultural and language fluency in Brazil;
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist.
December 2019 – Present
KYC Onboarding Officer/Analyst, MUFG Union Bank, N.A., US
- Member of first line of defense team responding to a consent order from the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency to remediate and uplift Know Your Customer (KYC) documentation and onboarding processes for foreign financial institution clients;
- Mitigate money laundering and financial crimes risk to the company during new onboarding and review of existing clients;
- Interface with front office banking teams, second line of defense and other stakeholders.
June 2017 – November 2019
Due Diligence Research Editor, Dow Jones, US
- Conduct due diligence investigations and write reports on companies and individuals in Portuguese-, Spanish- and English-speaking jurisdictions;
- Experience with various aspects of know your customer (KYC) work, including client identification in different jurisdictions in the US, Latin America and other countries;
- Research in jurisdictions throughout Latin America, the United States, Africa and other regions;
- Selected to work on key projects for important and potential clients;
- Custom due diligence research and writing according to client specifications;
- Research public sources for information on corporate registration, shareholding and beneficial ownership, litigation, bankruptcy, licensing and regulatory issues, OFAC lists and SEC records;
- Research on LexisNexis, CLEAR, Westlaw and the Dow Jones Risk & Compliance Database;
- Using Factiva and Google, perform adverse media research on politically-exposed persons (PEPs), corruption and financial crimes;
- Skilled at discerning positive and negative matches for individuals and companies;
- Maintain spreadsheets of publicly-available information in several countries.
July 2006 – June 2017
Consultant, Brazil and US
- 2007 Recipient of the Samuel Chavkin Investigative Journalism Award, awarded by the North American Congress on Latin America;
- Research and writing on land use, agriculture, agricultural supply chains, conflicts over land and natural resources, sustainable rural development and the social and environmental impacts of these;
- Wrote and edited articles, letters to the editor, press releases, policy documents, advertising copy and other online and print media;
- Primary and secondary research in English and Portuguese;
- Cultivated sources among various stakeholders, including federal politicians, business executives, non-governmental organizations, indigenous communities and small and large farmers;
- Translated, transcribed and interpreted between Portuguese and English;
- Researched and cultivated prospective funders, and developed funding proposals and budgets;
- Cultivated new and existing clients, and flexibly adapted workflow to meet their needs and deadlines;
- Clients included Center for Investigative Reporting, Center for the Study of the Americas, Americas Program at the Center for International Policy, CS Fund, FoodFirst! Institute for International Development, Terra de Direitos and the Small Planet Institute, among others, and dozens of translating agencies.
Sept. 2002 – June 2006
Specialist, University of California Small Farm Program, US
- Researched, wrote and edited articles and farmer profiles for various publications, highlighting issues relevant to the viability of small and medium farms in California;
- Researched and wrote report on California’s artisan olive oil industry;
- Wrote proposals for funding opportunities and awards nominations;
- Coordinated redesign and printing of Small Farm Program brochure.
Federal University of Paraná, Brazil
- Portuguese for Foreigners, Center for Languages and Multiculturalism.
University of California at Davis, US
- Master of Science (MSc.), Sustainable Rural Development;
- Master’s thesis research on land redistribution projects on export-oriented wine and fruit farms in the Western Cape of South Africa;
- Recipient of Jastro Shields Graduate Research Scholarship.
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, US
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), Journalism & Anthropology;
- Mabel Smith Douglass Scholars Honors; Departmental Honors in Anthropology;
- Bigel Fellowship in Anthropology; Eleanor Mitchell Memorial Scholarship; Mabel Smith Douglass Scholars Scholarship; Douglas Alumni Special Funds;
- Anthropology honors thesis on land redistribution project in South Africa;
- Final semester at the University of Natal in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.
English (native speaker); Brazilian Portuguese (fluent); Spanish (working knowledge).
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist;
- Certified 200-hour Vinyasa yoga teacher.